March Monthly Pet Tips!

Make a “pet first aid” kit

As your Evansville, Newburgh, Clarksville and Paducah pet experts we know that accidents and emergencies happen whether you own a dog, cat or other pets. Being prepared with all the essentials to help your pet in an emergency situation is a crucial step in being a responsible pet owner. This is especially important if you take your pet outdoors with you or let your pet roam free around the house, a DIY pet emergency kit is an essential you don’t want to be without.

Your pet emergency kit will vary depending on the pet but we recommend the following:
• Bottled water.
• One to two weeks’ worth of your pet’s food.
• Collapsible food and water bowls.
• Blankets.
• Cat litter and pan.
• Leash, collar and harness.
• Pet life jacket and paw protectors.
• Flashlight with extra batteries.

Easter Candy and Your Pets

Even with all the attention the cocoa bean gets, chocolate still ranks as the number one pet poison according to vet offices around the Tri-State. Leftover Valentine’s Day as well as Easter chocolate may be wrapped in the form of a heart-shaped token of affection meant for a sweetheart or it may be waiting outside a children’s bedroom or in a basket on Easter morning. Regardless, it could soon be inside your dog’s stomach. Xylitol, a naturally occurring sugar alcohol used as a sweetener in many common human food products such as candy and chewing gum, is another item to keep out of your dog’s reach.

Even if the Easter baskets in your home are not filled with chocolatey and sweet goodness, other hazardous items like fake grass, candy wrappers and plastic eggs are notorious for causing gastrointestinal obstructions in pets. Cats in particular seem to enjoy chewing on the shimmering, wiggling temptation of fake grass, eventually swallowing it strand by strand. Be a diligent feline parent and make sure your cats pass on this grass.

Unpeeled hard-boiled eggs are also favorites for dogs to eat and can cause GI complications or obstructions, not to mention some really pungent gas.